This is a common joke you will hear Pat and I say. He married me only for my slow cooker and my big screen tv. I then retort well I only married him for the use of the Commissary and his other military discounts.
This tends to be said in public areas (like standing in line for our marriage license) in which we then get these horrified looks. Of course this in NOT TRUE. Notice the emphasis here, people. Last thing I need is someone misinterpreting this.So one more time this is a joke. Pat and I love each other dearly and these are just perks 😉
Well, with Fall upon us it is time for me to dust off the crock pot and pull out some of my cooler weather approved recipes. One of my favorite recipes is Ham & Bean Soup.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 10 Hrs – I know this seems a bit much but it is totally worth the wait.
Ready In: 16 Hrs 15 Min
- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots – I add this from my mother’s recipe
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham – I normally just by a ham hock and cube it up and throw the bone in with it for
- Place the beans in a slow cooker with enough water to cover, and soak 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
- Drain the beans, and return to the slow cooker. Cover with water, and mix in the carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, and ham.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook soup on High for 3 1/2 hours. Switch to Low, and continue cooking at least 6 1/2 hours. The longer it cooks the more flavorful it becomes.
Apple Butteris a HUGE family favorite. Since moving to North Carolina I have noticed it a lot easier to find my favorite apples which are Pink Ladys. If I were an apple I would be pretty happy with that name.
- 5 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.